Tuesday, August 27, 2013

{Texas Ramp Project}

St. Paul's {the church that I am a member of} is involved in a ministry called Texas Ramp Project.  They build wheelchair ramps for homebound individuals who otherwise may not ever be able to leave their house.  This past Saturday, I volunteered to help build a ramp {ok, I didn't actually "build" much, but I was there helping out in any way that I could}.  I was slightly regretting my decision when the alarm went off at 6:00am, but it was definitely worth it in the end; it was a very rewarding experience & something I will definitely do again.
We built a ramp for a lady in her 50's who suffered a brain aneurysm while competing as a barrel racer in a rodeo.  She was not expected to live, but is now awake and responsive and being cared for at home.  Her husband simply wants to be able to take her outside to sit on their covered porch & we were able to provide that for them. 
Here are a few pictures of the building process, as well as the finished product: 

We lucked out...our ramp build was in the shade!



 

No comments:

Post a Comment