Wednesday, June 1, 2016

{Rain, Rain, Go Away}

...and don't come back another day anytime soon please.

Y'all, Thursday evening/night was the absolute craziest weather I have ever experienced in my 37 years on this Earth.  It started raining late Thursday afternoon & didn't stop until Friday morning.  And I'm not talking showers - I am talking monsoon downpours...along with high winds, hail & the worst lightening/thunder you have ever seen.  

This was my view on my way home from work at 5:00...
After about an hour of raining, my yard started to look like a river...
 Within another hour or two, the entrance to our subdivision was flooded...
During a break in the rain, I went to check out the creek behind my house. I have NEVER seen it that high.  We live in a 100 year floodplain...guess what - we experienced that once in a hundred years thing Thursday night.
 
There was even water coming out of the light poles.  I am fairly certain that is not a good sign!! =)
My parents were in town  & were going to attempt to go home.  They made it across town & ended up having to turn around and come back to my house and spend the night there.  All of their ways home were flooded.

Over the course of about 12 hours, we received right at 22 inches of rain.  Most of Brenham was under water.  Streets, houses & businesses that have never come close to flooding, flooded. It was so incredibly sad to drive around Friday & see all the destruction.  So many people were ripping out floors that got wet.  Lots of roads were washed away & are still impassable.  

Here are a few pics I found on Facebook & that I took on Friday showing the extent of the damage done to our little community...
 
Thankfully the only damage I had was a small roof leak.  And quite honestly, I think {hope} it was a one time thing.  I just think all the wind & rain combined caused water to get in a vent somewhere.  I cleaned it up & they are coming to check my roof this week to be sure.
Unfortunately my parent's weren't so lucky.  When they got home Friday morning, they discovered that water had come in their master bedroom, bathroom & closet.  I went out Saturday morning & helped them rip out all the carpet.  It certainly wasn't fun...but it could have been SO MUCH WORSE!!  
Sadly, 5 people lost their lives in the floods this weekend, including a 16 year old boy who's dad works at Blue Bell.  He was with his church youth group helping clean up debris when a large limb fell on him.  My heart breaks for all of those who lost their homes, but most importantly -  loved ones.  Things can be replaced, people can't.

We are predicted to potentially get another 6+ inches of rain again over the next 2 days.  Please say a little prayer that the weathermen are wrong.  We are saturated...even an inch or two will cause flooding.

I'm so ready for the sun to come out and dry up all the rain...
so that poor itsy bitsy spider can climb up the spout again! =)

No comments:

Post a Comment