Friday, March 18, 2016

{SUYL: Wild Rice & Chicken Casserole}

Today I am linking up with Kelly's Korner for Show Us Your Life: What I'm Cooking Now!  I tried a new recipe this week & LOVED it!  Best part was that it was super simple & I had leftovers...which is great for this time of year when it's after 8:00 before I get in the house.  I also had almost all of the ingredients at the house so it's a great last minute, go-to dinner.  I will definitely be making it again. 

I found this recipe on Lauren's Latest blog so she gets all the credit. 

Wild Rice & Chicken Casserole
Ingredients: 
1 box Uncle Ben's Long Grain & Wild Rice
1 can of cream of mushroom soup
2 cups cooked chicken cubed {I boiled a few frozen chicken breasts}
1 1/2 cup frozen vegetables {I used peas & carrots}
1/2 cup cream or milk
1 tablespoon butter
1/2 onion, diced
1/2 stalk celery, diced
salt & pepper
5 slices swiss cheese (or use about 1 cup grated cheese, any kind you have will work)
1/3 cup toasted slivered almonds

Cook box of rice according to packaged directions. In skillet, melt butter and saute onion and celery over medium heat until softened, about 5 minutes. Once cooked, spoon rice into large bowl. To the rice, add cream of mushroom soup, chicken, vegetables, cream, cooked onion and celery, and salt and pepper. Spread into a casserole dish. Top with cheese and almonds. Cover with foil and warm thoroughly at 300 degrees for at least 30 minutes (and up to 60). Serve with a side salad.
 
That's it!  I told you it was easy.  I was in a hurry so I skipped the onion & celery part, nor did I have almonds...and it still tasted delicious!  And for the record, the leftovers reheated really well which is always a plus.  You could also easily double the recipe if needed.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I make this, just a little differently! Instead of frozen veggies I use a can of green beans, and put shredded Parmesan cheese on top. We make it a lot--SO good!

    ReplyDelete