Thursday, January 7, 2016

{Word of the Year: Courage}

I have never been one to sit down & make a list of new year's resolutions.  Because let's face it - rarely does anyone actually stick with them.  I have seen several blog posts & instagram posts where people pick a "word of the year"...one that will guide them through the upcoming year.  And I LOVE that idea!

I have been going back & forth between several words for awhile now.  At first I thought about CHANGE.  But that didn't quite feel right so then I thought about BELIEVE.  Again, it just didn't seem right.  I thought I had finally decided on JOY & then Sunday during the sermon at church, our pastor mentioned COURAGE...and I knew that my was word.  
Courage: the ability to do something that frightens one.  In a way, it's one word that involves all of the other ones I considered: change, believe, & joy.
I am the first to admit - I do not like CHANGE. I am a creature of habit.  I do not like to step outside of my bubble. Yes, I know the saying "Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." I am fully aware that it's true.  But it's HARD.  I like a routine & have a huge fear of the unknown.  My goal is to step out a little more this year...just need a little COURAGE.
I have a quote on my desk that says "You are capable of more than you know".  I will also admit that I don't give myself enough credit, I have a hard time BELIEVING in myself.  I am not by any means saying I am smarter than anyone else or know more than anyone else.  Quite the opposite actually.  I always worry that I'm not. I hope to change that this year...again, just need a little COURAGE.  
And finally, I want the COURAGE to pursue the things that bring me JOY & the COURAGE to get rid of the people & things that steal it.   Simple as that.

All the events of 2015 put a lot of things in perspective for me.  It changed me without me even realizing it at that time.  Guess change would have have been a pretty fitting word for last year! 

Bring it 2016.  I have a good feeling about you.

No comments:

Post a Comment