Friday, September 1, 2017

{Hurricane Harvey}

Wow!  What a crazy week it has been.  As you all know, Hurricane Harvey made landfall along the Texas coast last Friday night as a category 4 storm.  And y'all, the devastation is unfathomable. I can't stop watching the news & my heart just breaks for those poor people.  So many people have lost everything.  Everything.  

I wasn't even aware that there was a storm in the Gulf last week...and I think a lot of other people didn't know about it either!  It went from a small tropical storm to a category 2 hurricane over night.  It wasn't until the chatter started on Thursday that I realized I might need to prepare for this thing!  I went to the grocery store that night & found this...
Seriously, there was not one loaf of bread left on the shelves.  Our town was sold out of batteries, flashlights, bread, milk...it was crazy!  The rain started around 8:00pm Friday night here...and didn't stop until Monday night. Not kidding.  Thankfully it was slow & steady here so there was no flooding & very little damage.
But unfortunately those along the coast & in Houston were not as fortunate.  Harvey hit Rockport as a category 4 hurricane Friday night around 10pm causing massive destruction.  
Nola didn't take well to not being able to walk for 4 days.  Seriously y'all, I think she had a little doggy depression!  
And the potty struggle was really real....
By mid-morning Saturday, we had a small break in the rain so I made a quick trip to Sherwin Williams to get paint for my guest bedroom {& a stop at Sonic for a Diet Coke}.  I have to admit, I was getting a little bored too.  I had already baked brownies & blueberry muffins and made soup.  Once I got home, the rain started again so I spent the afternoon painting & watching the news.
 
By Saturday afternoon & evening, the news coming out of Houston was horrifying.  The flooding down there was unprecedented.  Saturday, Sunday, Monday & Tuesday was spent rescuing people by boat & helicopter.  I have never seen anything like it or so much water in my life.  Literally the entire city of Houston was under water.  We are talking in excess of 50" of rain!
By Monday evening - the rain slowed, the sun came out & the most gorgeous double rainbow appeared over the Houston/coastal area.  His promise of better days ahead.  And Nola finally got to go on a walk!!  I had one HAPPY dog!
 
But the number one thing this storm did was restore my faith in humanity. Y'all, you wouldn't believe how heartwarming it was to see everyone helping each other.  The city of Houston was overwhelmed so they put out a call for anyone with a boat to come help...and people came from all over the United States.  People spent 24 hours out there without sleeping or eating rescuing people from their homes.  The response for donations and money has been overwhelming.  Y'all - Texas represented & showed the rest of America just how it's done.  Most definitely made me proud to be a Texan.
I couldn't go down there & rescue people out of the water but I went this week & bought all sorts of supplies to donate.  It's the least I can do & it makes my heart feel good to help in any way that I can. We don't have a shelter here, but we are a designated "pass through" community. Given our proximity to the Houston area, we do have lots of folks staying here in hotels & with friends/family.  We also are going to be the hub for the National Guard.  

It's been almost one week since the storm hit & they are still rescuing people from high water areas due to reservoir & river flooding.  People have slowly started to return to some areas & have started the cleanup process.  It's going to take a long, long time no doubt.  

Here's to a WAY less eventful weekend than the last...and the official kickoff to Fall!

No comments:

Post a Comment