Tuesday, January 7, 2014

{NYC 2013: Day 5}

Friday was our last day in NYC! =(  We had plans to meet up once again with Taurie & her group for a 9:00am tour of the Statue of Liberty.  A few years ago, they opened the crown to visitors & Brenda thought it would be a great idea for us to go up. Foolishly, Lisa & I agreed. 
 
This is the warning on the website:
The climb to the crown is a strenuous journey that encompasses 393 steps or approximately the height of a 27-story building, in an enclosed area with high temperatures in the summer. All crown visitors must be able to climb up and down the 393 steps unassisted. IMPORTANT: There are 162 narrow and tight steps from the top of the pedestal to the crown. There is no elevator access from the top of pedestal to the crown platform – the Statue’s feet to the Statue’s head.
 
I was most concerned about climbing up the height of a 27-story building.  But, I should have been more concerned about falling down the stairs of a 27-story building.  They are right...the steps are VERY narrow & tight.  And, that morning - they were wet so they were also slippery.  Plus it's relatively dark in there.  It was not fun.  The climb wasn't bad at all {physically}, but it definitely was stressful.  And, the view at top wasn't even that great.  All I can say is "been there, done that - won't do it again". =) 
But, the views of Manhattan from Liberty Island were amazing!!

We ended the day with lunch at Katz's Deli.  The pastrami sandwich & chicken noodle soup are delish!
Unfortunately after lunch, our time in NYC was over.  We headed back to the hotel, got our luggage & headed to the airport.  For the first time {and probably only time} in my life, I was able to fly first class {thanks to my Frequent Flyer Miles}.  Let me tell you - I could so get used to that!!  I mean, who wouldn't love all that extra room & free cocktails?!?
 
If you are still reading, bless you! =)  Sorry it got so long, but I had lots to share!! Overall, we had an
AMAZING time in NYC.  Definitely made some memories that will last a lifetime!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment